Re: power transformers

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

17/06/2002 23:58:13, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "R. Bergmann by way of
Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<bergmann_-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Does anybody know where I can get some
high power/voltage power
>transformers?  I need ones with four
leads.  I am making a VTTC.

>Thanks,
>R.

Umm,
	if you are specifying your
transformer on the basis of the number of
wires it has you should probably not start
with a vacuum tube based coil as they
requre a considerable knowledge of
electronics if you are to make it work
satisfactorily. Nonetheless, people often
use microwave oven tranformers for the B+
voltage, sometimes rewinding to obtain the
requred voltage, some use custom
tranformers for their specific tube. To
supply filament power most people wind
their own trasformer on an old core
because they only need a few dozen turns.

really you would probably would do better
to scavenge a neon sign transformer and
make an ordinary spark gap coil and
progress form there

regards