Re: Tesla Coil Efficiency Test

Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Hi All,

Seems to me that trying to define and measure efficiency for a
disruptive TC by the methods discussed so far in this thread
is problematic.

Why not take a different approach...

Measure the overall Q factor of the dual-resonator ringdown,
with the gap closed by a lossless switch (eg a switch!) at
low voltage...Q1

Then measure the overall Q factor at a power level just below
breakout, using the primary arc gap instead of a switch...Q2

And finally, measure Q again, this time with breakout...Q3

Since in each case the fraction of energy lost from the resonator
per cycle is proportional to 1/Q, it should be possible to say
something definate about the quality of the primary gap by
comparing Q1 with Q2, and the ability of the resonator to dump
its stored energy into the streamer load could be indicated by
comparing Q3 with Q2.

For example, if Q2 is half that of Q1, then we can say that the
primary gap is dissipating the same energy per cycle as the rest
of the resonator.

Using Q3 and Q1 we can define a measurable standard of overall
efficiency in a consistent manner (ie it is meaningful to compare
different coils), eg by

 Efficiency = 100 * (Q1 - Q3)/Q1  ...percent

Of course, this only defines the efficiency of the RF portions of
the system.
--
Paul Nicholson
Manchester, UK