Re: SS NST--Good for anything?

Original poster: "Sean Taylor by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <taylorss-at-rose-hulman.edu>

A Tesla wouldn't kill the circuitry, you just wouldn't really be able
to run a TC from a SS NST.  The frequency that they operate is too
high to charge a cap, let the gap fire, quench the gap, and then
charge the cap again.  They do work well, however, for making
extremely high voltage DC with a voltage multiplier.  The high
frequency means that you charge each stage much more often, and there
is less time for leakage, etc.

For the GFI NST, you can get around the interruptor, if you can get
access to the primary of the transformer directly, but it all is
probably potted and nearly impossible to reach.

Sean Taylor

<Fucian-at-aol-dot-com>

> Today I got 2 6kv 35ma solid state NST.I know a tesla coil will kill
the
> circuitry, are they good for anythign like SSTC?
>
> Also, I got a 10.5KV 30ma NST but it has a GFI on it.So i guess
Tesla coils