Re: Electronic damage

Hi Anthony,
            Here are the key things I have found over the years:

- the coil *must* be well tuned.
- the secondary ground *must* be of high quality and *must not* be
  the mains ground.
- A line filter between the power source (often the mains) and the
  transformers running the coil is very helpful in suppressing mains-
  borne noise and interference
- Running a disruptive primary with no secondary present is an
  absolute no-no. The radiated hash is horrific.
- leads to any other equipment act like aerials and should ideally be
  unplugged from that equipment. I have seen a number of printer
  interface chips go up in smoke, have seen the insulation in an old
  drill press and anglepoise lamp tested to destruction, and lost a
  hub port by not following these practices. I also once destroyed an
  RF bypass capacitor connected between an isolated lab power supply
  and its chassis when testing a 14J Marx bank.

Regards,
Malcolm