Re: power transformers

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>
> >
> > Tesla list wrote:
> > >
> > > Original poster: "R. Bergmann by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> > <bergmann_-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> > >
> > > Thanks for the info and for sticking up for me.
> > >
> > > Ryan
> > >

> > No problem.  I have a unique vacuum tube tesla coil here. A 3ft high 2ft
> > diam form with copper tubing.  It resonates at 1.8Mhz, and is driven
> > with 3kW from an Eimac 8877 tube (It my ham linear amp).  Puts out a
> > nice big purple flame.  Unfortunately, the 8877 is a very expensive
> > investment and requires forced air cooling as it has an external metal
> > anode with radiator fins.  My power supply is 3500V at 5kVA max (weighs
> > 200 lbs).
> >
> > Some other tubes worth trying for a small coil would be the 1625, 811,
> > and 813.  They are old WW2 vintage types and are available for
> > practically nothing ($1 to $10) at ham swap meets.
> >
> > Rob.
>
>         Are you driving the coil from the regular antenna output of your
> linear?  Would be interesting to see more design details.  How much
> power do you run on ham bands?  Are you one of the 80 meter "long
> pathers"?
>
> Ed
>
> W6IZJ

Yes, I tap the coil up one or two turns for min SWR.  Actually, I don't
work HF any more at all.  6M only these days.  I got bored with HF and
160M DXing.  (I had 250 countries on CW by the time I was 18yrs old, so
being 40 now, its lost the thrill)  Worked Japan on 6M CW last fall.
That was a thrill! 73.

Rob N3FT

--
The Numeric Python EM Project