Re: New MMC, pictures and construction info

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Steve and All,

> That is an awful lot of capacitors to get such a small capacitance,

Yes it is. 240 capacitors total for only .01uF. (but at least the
voltage is there...24kVDC)

> but i suppose that it would handle quite a bit of TC current with
> all of those strings in parallel.

The last one worked extremely well, never got warm and all that. So
since the capacitors were REALLY cheap from a local store, we made
another MMC out of them. I would never do it again if I had to pay
even a fraction of the full price...it's one of those "did it 'cause
I had it" things.

I don't know if the current rating (di/dt) is any better with a bunch
of small cap's vs. a few big ones. Actually, I think bigger cap's
have higher current ratings than smaller ones. So many in parallel is
probably a good thing as you mention...and it's always, always easier
on the capacitor when there are more parallel strings.

Thanks for the nice website comments, it and the hobby is lots of
fun.

Take care,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP