Re: Electronic damage

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi All,

> but has any one ever run a coil on stage in a theatre with all the
> lights and sound gear up and running?

kVA Effects sure has!

I pulled an arc off my SSTC...with my new Canon Powershot S100
digital camera!

Ask me how I knew it wouldn't fry? It's all steel construction, a
very good faraday cage! Really really cool as I can get nice close-up
arc pics without having my fingers crossed...

However, my computer didn't fare so well. I had a 3.5" coil running
270VA (9kV 30mA neon), distance from it to computer was 15 feet.
Dedicated RF ground separate from house ground, and the coil has a
line filter installed. We're talking radiated RFI here, it locked my
computer up repeatedly. Didn't hurt it, just freaked it out.

The pulsed fields around TC's are unpredicable as far as EMI goes. I
would shield the heck out of everything you plan to operate the coil
near.

BTW, it's been my experience that small coils generate "worse" EMI
than big coils. It's got to be the higher frequency.

Take care,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: justin-at-hvguy-dot-com