RE: FW: Re: Tesla Coil Efficiency Test

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Malcolm -

I remember those TC waveforms of yours. They were very important information
because there was so little TC data avilable in those days. However, as I
recall you said you had made tests but you did not show any calculations.
That is, calcs that included the overall energy in and energy out.

Your reply to Paul was about "transfer efficiency" and "spark loading" and
these are the subjects on which coilers do not agree. This is understanable
because of the difficulty of obtaining the proper test data. These are
conditions within the Tesla coil system (black box) and making tests require
considerable skill and instrumentation. The black box (lamp) test I show is
a very simple test that any coiler can do to determine the efficiency of his
coil. Details of what goes on within the black box are not required. As I
pointed out in another post the accuracy is better than that obtainable by
other tests.

The black box test is a standard type of test in engineering to determine
the overall efficiency of an electrical device or system. However, I see
that there may be one problem when it comes to Tesla coils. In my example of
how I tested and found the efficiency of one of my coils I included the
coupling factor. Should the coupling factor be included to find the TC
efficiency with the black box test?

John Couture