VTTC Horizonal coil

Original poster: "James by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mustang3-at-cox-dot-net>

Hi Group,
    I've been working on my horizontal toob coil. Here's a few specs:

Secondary: 6.5 in. dia., 48 in. long wound with #27
Primary: 31 T. #10 ---- 13 in. dia.
Tickler coil: 20 T. #20
.0054 uf -at-12.5 KV Mica cap
.005 -at- 5000V. grid leak cap
6.5K -at- 250W grid leak resistor
draws 33A. with variac cranked all the way
180 uf PFC
uses two 304TL toobs
MOT voltage doubler PS
rectifier=16 ea. <mailto:6A-at-1000PIV>6A-at-1000PIV diodes
spark length=27 inches

    After finding and replacing all of the weak parts, I was rewarded with arcs
and sparks. The toob coil is so neat, seeing the plates of the toobs glowing
red, the arcs coming off the discharge rods. The field on the horizontal coil
is not as strong as the vertical coil. You can observe the rising voltage with
a florescent lamp. Also, when the spark jumps the gap in the discharge rods
oscillations are put back into the grid of the tube.(going through the Tesla
transformer) Sometimes the pulse rings so bad the tube turns off at the wrong
time. This is bad for the rectifier. The trick here is lots of diodes in
series. Of course, drawing 30+ amps. means short runs.

                                    Later,

                                        James
P.S. I will take some pictures when I get my digital camera back. Also I have a
handdrawn schematic. If someone wants a copy, contact me off list and I'll send
it.