Re: VTTC chokes

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "R. Bergmann by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<bergmann_-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> I need some choke for my vttc.  I am using two svetlana 572b tubes, a
> 2100volt 300ma plate transformer, and a 6.3volt 8amp filament transformer.
> There is a nice choke at rfparts-dot-com(rfc-3), but it is too expensive.  Do
> you know any good places to get chokes?  And any suggestions on the ratings
> I should use are very appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan Bergmann

You can buy ham radio linear type chokes from B & W, but they are likely
to work only down to 1.5Mhz or so.  You could buy a large ferrite rod
and wind it with small diam teflon wire, but usually ferrite rods do not
come in the really high permeability materials that you would need for
Tesla work.  Perhaps a large gapped E-core with mu above 2000 would
work.  Anything other than teflon wire and plenty of insulation between
layers will probably burn out.

Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project