RE: FW: Re: Tesla Coil Efficiency Test

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi John,

 we
> are talking about two
> different types of TC efficiency. You are referring
> to a transfer efficiency
> based on  E = 0.5CV^2..
---
Now ,allow  me just to stick to a "transfer
efficiency" from now on.This one is more accepted (and
simplier per definition) in engineering world.
---
The efficiencies found by both methods will
> decrease as the TC
> becomes larger.
---
As concerns transfer efficiency theory,scaling up the
size of all the components (including primary gap and
firing voltage !) ,it goes in a favour of a bigger
coil.
In practice ,scalings are not indentical for every
parameter (especially not for Vp) and comparations
become pointless.
---
 This is contrary to most electrical
> apparatus where larger
> means greater efficiency. One reason is because
> larger with Tesla coils
> means larger voltages rather than larger currents.
> The higher voltages mean
> higher losses and they increase faster than the
> input wattage. This means
> there is a secondary voltage limit for every size of
> Tesla coil. Above this
> voltage the insulation breaks down and the coil is
> damaged.
---
Not again,if bigger coil is made lin. proportionaly
bigger to a smaller one in every its segment.As far as
it comes to a proper field control,600 kv/m of
secondary height can be achieved with todays materials
for a small and big coils without toomuch
diffculty.
Major of loss in TCs is associated with current (not
voltage) in primary components.
Nonlinearity of allowed voltage might be  expressed
only for megavolt+ coils I guess.

regards,
Boris