vacumn gap comparison

Original poster: "colin.heath4 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <colin.heath4-at-ntlworld-dot-com>

hi all
        iv noticed some posts about comparing the sucker gap to the rotary
gap
so i gave it a go today
my setup is as follows
10kv power transformer with ballast of approx 35mh
tank cap 50nf 50kv pulse cap giving the charging circuit a natural resonant
frequency of approx 90hz which at 400bps sync gives a power factor of approx
.85
approx cap charging with rotary 15kv
with the rotary i achieved 5'
i then changed to my sucker gap with the gap set as wide as the vacumn
wouldnt over quench the gap i got 3'
now this could be due to the tank cap being smaller than would be used in a
static gap usually but then if i up my tank cap then the rotary is going to
perform better again so iv decided to stick to a rotary for now
cheers
colin heath