Coil troubles-PVC vs ABS

Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi All!

	I've been running my little 4" diameter coil lately, and since I now
have a feel for its "disposition" the results are final:  This thing
gives me sparks nearly equal to my big coil, with way less input AND
using lossy caps.

	Every component in the small system is "inferior" to the large one,
except possibly for the secondary.  The big 6" sec. is wound on thick
5/16" solid PVC, which was not sealed before winding.  The whole thing
is coated in 1/8" of epoxy.  This is the coil that I have had extensive
racing arc problems with.  The small 4" coil is wound on unsealed
"porous" black ABS.  It's coated with polyurathane varnish (lotsa layers
:-)).  I should say that the 4" coil has given me ZERO troubles of any
kind.  I have never seen any racing arcs on it, nor have I had any turn
to turn breakdown.  I'm running comparable break sizes/rates on both
coils.  I had to put my big 8" toroid on the small coil to induce minor
top turn breakout.  The only other thing I can think of that could make
a difference, is my RF ground.  I improved it, but since my 6" coil is
lacking a capacitor, never got a chance to run it using the new ground.

Any input is appreciated :-)

Winston K.

BTW... My "improved" RF ground still measures 600k ohms to my house
gound, which is only 10 feet away.  Far from optimal, I know.  I'm using
3, four foot sections of galvanized elecrical pipe (it's all I had) in
moist earth.  The ground I used with my 6" coil was MUCH worse than
this, although I never actually measured it.  Copper pipe is expensive,
and I don't have much $$$.  Is copper worth the investment?