RE: pics

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

Hi Chris,
Yes that is pretty much it except I keep the jumper on the cap while I
move the tap. I took a long fiberglass rod and attached a piece of
smooshed copper tubing that I bent in a "U" shape to the end of it.
After I power off I lay the open ends of the "U" across the terminals of
the cap and leave it there until I am done touching stuff.

As for tuning I have a long piece of 1 inch PVC that I taped a
fluorescent bulb to one end. I power on the coil and then stick the bulb
near the toroid. As the coil becomes closer to tune the bulb gets
brighter. I start in half turn increments and then quarter then 1/8
until I find a range where it is best/brightest. Also of note is my
spark gap gets noticeably louder as it gets close to tune and really
makes some racket when she is right on. Even a little bit off tune wise
and it just does not have that "BAP BAP BAP" sound. Use a piece of
electrical tape or a marker to keep track of where you have tried the
tap already. I had some trouble keeping track after a zillion tries and
this technique helped me
Try laying a nail on the toroid if you see no breakout(once you have it
in tune). An open end wrench works well too as seen here-
http://www.jlproduction-dot-com/dual.html

This will help it along if the toroid is too large.

Stay "tuned"
Jim Layton