Re: Tame MOT Pictures

Original poster: "J Whyte by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <xoom321-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Tame MOT Pictures
>Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:33:56 -0700
>
>Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
>Hi Greg.
>
>	Nice supply!  On the "dark" MOT in both pictures, what does the label
>on the top say?  Is there a model number? Is the MOT made by Advance
>Transformer?  I have one nearly identical that is listed by a microwave
>supply place as being 1900 VAC.  I'm hoping that they're wrong and
>you're right with respect to the output voltage :-).
>
>Thanks
>Winston
>
>Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>
> >
> > Dear List,
> >
> > I've added pictures to my "tamed MOT" web page. See
> >
> > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/tame.htm
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Greg
Don't worry about the transformer output voltage, it is usually measured
inside of curcuit were the current is low and regulated (300 mA or so) by
CAP size/resistance/load. When your hooking a single transformer outside of
curcuit you can easily achieve more voltage from the transformer due to
current consumption.
I have a number of 1980 VAC Tabuchi made MOT's....when their hooked outside
of curcuit and arced I get 2050-2100 VAC.
They are from a number of old 650-720 watt Kenmore Microwaves...but the
transformers are HUGE (18 to 20 lbs each!!)
and massive core size. They usually draw 10A each. But when arced, two in
series will most certainly draw a minimum of 30A. I will be taking some
digital pictures soon of the MOT arcs!!
So far 2 seriesed MOT's can produce 42 cm (pulled arcs)...starting gap was
nearly 5 mm for the testing rail!!