Re: Suitable transformer for tesla work

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi (name?),

This particular type of transformer is really not suitable for use as a
HV transformer in a Tesla Coil. It's intended to be used with a special
circuit consisting of high voltage capacitors and inductors (called a
synthetic line or a Pulse Forming Network (PFN)) and a high voltage
switch (a hydrogen thyratron) to generate a relatively square pulse of
high voltage. This high voltage pulse is stepped up by the Pulse
Transformer and applied to a special electron tube (a magnetron or
klystron) to generate a powerful pulse of very high frequency RF -
typically GigaHertz (GHz) or 10's of GHz. The resulting  microwave
radiation is sent to an antenna to broadcast a directional pulse of high
power RF in a RADAR system.

While it may be possible to use this transformer to create a type of
impulse-excited coil, it's MUCH easier to simply use a MOT or NST.
However, PFN's from RADAR systems have been successfully used as tank
capacitors for Tesla Coils.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--