Re: Primary Heating

Hi Robert,
           I really am moved to comment on this piece:

On 5 Mar 2002, at 12:37, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "rheidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

> As I read this subject I see current is every where the same. No current is
> not every where the same. Yes it is a series circuit, but the load is not
> all places the same. The load is distributed in a log distrabution into the
> secondary and surounding areas and across the resonant length of the primary
> starting at 22 ohms to over 6oo meg at the 1/4 wave resinant point at the
> moment of time of firing. Yes the average current is low, but the
> instantanious current is often well over 400 amps traveling as a slow movind
> standing wave pulse along the conductor decresing as the impedance
> increases. Keeping in mind in a TC we are not dealing with a uniform sign
> wave current, but a multi harmonic pulse burst of intense current. The
> heating effect of 400 amps in 22 ohms is more than 40ua in 600meg.This is
> just my minds view of what should be happening in the primary.AMATURE RADIO
> OPERATORS HAVE FOUND IT NESSISARY to use larger tubing at the feed point of
> an antenna to carry the input power.
>   Robert  H

It is well established that the current at the feed point of an
antenna is orders of magnitude larger than currents at the tip.
Furthermore, coupling between various sections of a whip is minimal
compared with coupling between turns of a spiral. I think the
equivalences you are trying to use are invalid.
     The current in the primary is sinusoidal, at least on a
timescale that compares with the frequency it resonates at. I think
the point about impedance scaling is completely invalid. The primary
has a pretty large chunk of capacitance hooked straight across it
when the gap fires. It also has far more coupling from inside to
outside than a typical secondary does top to bottom. If it is highly
questionable to associate wirelength with free space wavelength for
the secondary at the resonant frequency of the secondary, it is out
of the question for the primary (consider how short the conductor
is). Tesla himself realized that. I read his musings on this very
thing (I will dig out a reference to the work and page if you
require). In effect, he said it would be desirable (he didn't exactly
say why if I recall) but that it couldn't be done which was a rather
pragmatic concession to nature considering he was trying to transform
a low voltage to a high one.
      I've no doubt we'll be able to craft an experiment which will
give the answer to this problem. We've managed to dispel other
"mysteries" in this fashion.

Regards,
Malcolm
<snip>