Re: Magnetic Rectifier??

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>         I have the same question.  I can see how it is possible (easy) to
> generate a waveform with lots of even harmonics and hence a higher peak
> voltage of one polarity or the other, but can't see how the waveform can
> have an average value other than zero.  Are we missing something
> Antonio???  Can you send us a sample circuit which rectifies in the
> absence of diodes?

I don't see a solution with only inductors and capacitors, no matter how
nonlinear they are. An inductor is just a short-circuit for DC, and a
capacitor an open circuit. Without diodes (including in this all
nonlinear resistors, mercury rectifiers, corona rectifiers, etc.),
there is no practical way to make a rectifier that can charge a
battery from an AC source.
A possible solution is to use switches, synchronized with the AC signal.
This is what is done in a rotary DC generators, with mechanical
switches.
The switches act as diodes, or diode bridges.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz