Re: Mini VTTC--Possible tubes?

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi Steve, All
         I used a MOT for the filament tranny on my single and dual 833A
VTTC.  I chiseled off the fine wire with a hammer and chisel, then wound a
handfull of turns on it with 20ga wire till I got the correct number of
turns on it for 10v.  I cut the 20ga off and wound it with 12ga THHN wire,
2 wires in parallel.  Don't bother with a centertap ground, it's not worth
the trouble, just ground 1 leg of the 10v windings.

   Don't worry about saturation with a MOT, it's not an issue while using
it as a filament tranny.  It'll only be seeing about 200w or so.  And even
if it did saturate, it wouldn't overcurrent the tubes, they're a resistive
load, so they only pull as much as they need.
   For my quad 833 I used 1/8" copper tubing on an old NST core and the old
NST primary (12/30).  Works beautiful.
Here's some pics of the quad 833 VTTC in tests, also shows the filament tranny.
http://sundog.timeship-dot-net/HV/cw_prjct/cw_prjct.htm

Caio!

At 08:04 AM 3/7/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>
>
>I am planning on building a dual 833A VTTC eventually and I am also facing
>the filament tranformer issue. The two 833As will need 20 amps at 10 volts
>for filament power, not exactly a common transformer. My plan is to build my
>own filament transformer. I will use one of my many MOTs that I have lying
>around. I will remove the secondary windings and wind on 12 turns of
>suitable wire for the secondary. Since the MOT core should handle at least 1
>KW without saturating, this seems like a good plan.  12 turns would be easy
>to wind.
>
>Steve: Coiling in Iowa

Shad (Sundog)
G-2 #1203
"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"