Re: Primary Heating

Hi Peter,

On 7 Mar 2002, at 13:42, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

> Are you suggesting that the current flow in a thick primary conductor is not
> uniform across the cross section of the conductor, and that this
non-uniformity
> would be different for inner turns verses outer turns? Wouldn't this have
to be
> something other than skin effect since inner and outer are both operating at
> the same frequency? Are you suggesting that the inner facing surface of a
> spiral has different magnetic coupling hence voltage and current than the
> outer facing surface of the same portion of that spiral conductor, since
it is
> geometrically closer to the center.
>
> -Peter Lawrence.

Proximity effect closely related to skin effect and causes the ESR
of, for example, a single layer solenoid to be considerably higher
than skin effect alone would predict. The effect is well known and is
formally treated in technical papers dealing with the design of high
frequency switching transformers and chokes. Just as the magentic
field generated by a single conductor can have an impact on its
resistance at different frequencies, so too can a bunch of wires
interact with each other. I think that if the observed effect cannot
be explained by differences in cooling rates for different portions
of the coil, then Bert's explanation is the most likely.

Regards,
Malcolm

> >Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"