Longitudinal Waves - Request for clarification

Original poster: "Colin Dancer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <CMD-at-dataconnection-dot-com>

I've been trying to follow the discussion on longitudinal waves, but I am
afraid I've lost the thread.

Would any supporter of the theory care to summarize the proposition under
test, and in particular provide answers to the following questions?

* Exactly what are Longitudinal waves (i.e. how do the associated E & B
field vary in time and space)?

* How they are created?

* How do they differ from:

    a) classical "far-field" EM radiation (which when averaged through time
leads to a net energy transfer away from the source)
    b) classical "near-field" E & B induction fields (which when averaged
lead to no net energy transfer _unless_ the fields are distorted by a
"receiving circuit" such as a transformer secondary)?

Thanks in advance.

Colin.