RE: longitudinal waves

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Jim,

>would this not just be a travelling wave antenna (sort of like a
rhombic?).. Presumably, you're going to look at the difference in voltage
between the wires?

There is much I'm trying to sort out.  Longitudinal waves are not separate
energy waves from RF waves.  Energy, as I see it, has three dimensions;
potential, length, and the rotation.  So there is more to energy to look at
than just potential.  It also has length and rotation.  The lateral movement
(length) of electricity is just as much a characteristic of electrical
movement as the voltage/current is.  And just as the voltage/current of an
electrical pulse can be harnessed, so can its lateral movement.  Whether
voltage is present or not does not prevent us from harnessing the lateral
movement of electricity.  But to use the lateral movement of electricity
most efficiently we need to tap it where the voltage is near zero, this way
the energy won't be bouncing all over the place and it can be better
detected by a longitudinal receiver.

I will measure for voltage, but I don't expect to see much of it.  I'm
specifically trying to detect the lateral movement of the electricity and
not its transverse movement.

There is no doubt in my mind that longitudinal forces are present.  And they
are most efficiently detected at the ground plane of the energy source.  The
radio waves of the local AM broadcast station are calculated to have a
length of about 8.5 inches (I have the exact figure in my calculation
sheet.)  Several years ago I wrote a computer program for making wind
chimes.  I'm quite familiar with resonance in solids.  If there are
longitudinal waves present, these waves can be harnessed as a power source
for mechanically vibrating tubes, especially if the tubes are made of
copper.  Since I am particularly interested in longitudinal waves, I'll make
some of the tubes as resonators (one end closed.)  If the tubes oscillate,
they will have greatest amplitude when the pipe is perpendicular to the
tower.

> You might want to take a look at some work by George Hagn on the Open Wire
Line (OWL) method for ground parameter characterization.

Thanks, I checked it out.  As his research was specific to measuring the
conductivity of the ground relative to vegetation, this is not directly
related to what I'm doing.  The earth has natural electric currents running
through it and he is detecting the ability for these natural currents to
flow and thus interfere with radio communications.

There is an AM radio broadcasting antenna within sight of my house that is
putting out a manmade signal.  I'm interested in the characteristics of this
particular signal and not of the natural ground currents.

But if I had an opportunity to talk to Mr Hagn, I would.  His credentials
are impeccable.

Dave T.