C/W Multiplier PSU - Reasons Why Not

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

A question has started bugging me to the point of getting me out of bed
in the middle of the night to ask it of you...

Various power supplies using multiple MOTs (microwave oven transformers)
have been mooted, some with straight forward rectification, some with
voltage doublers.

I know that if it were feasible, we'd be doing it but could someone give
me a technical explanation as to why we don't just use a single MOT and
a Cockroft-Walton multiplier made from a collection of MOT diodes and
MOT caps?  Are the capacitors too high in value or the diodes too low in
current rating, not enough "juice" to charge the tank cap or...  No,
I'll stop guessing and await an informed answer.

TIA

Cheers

Matthew Smith

Insomniac,