Re: Magnetic Field in a Flat Spiral

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

> I was just thinking that if you got an old E-I tranformer core, cracked it
> in half
> long the laminations so it wasnt so deep, and simply slipped the magnets
> onto the ends
> of the I, and then stuck that to the E you would end up with a very intense
> field in
> the resulting gap in the middle - if anyone can follow, i'll try my hand at
> ASCI art:
>
>         ___________________________
>         |                                       |
>         |       ______  ______  |
>         |       |       |       |       |       |
>         |       |       |       |       |       |
>         |       |       |       |       |       |
>         |____   |       |____   |       |____   |
>         |NNNN   |                       |NNNN   |
>         |       |       Spark           |       |
>         |SSSS   |       Gap             |SSSS   |
>         ---------------------------
>         |                                       |
>         ---------------------------
>
> the only problem might be saturation of the core - but even so the field is
> gonna be
> something phenomenal, just dont drop a screw...
>
> just an idea
>
> Alex

	That figure didn't come through well enough to decipher, but can't see
anything at all wrong with using pair (I like symmetrical things) of EI
laminations, with the gap in the space between the I halves.  Don't
think saturation could be a problem with a big air gap like you'd have.
Problem is that the gap length is pretty great, so your side magnets
would either have to be long enough to fill the spaces, or else you
would have to put some kind of shims in place to finish the spacing.
Ordinary CRS would be just fine, as this is a static field.

Ed