Re: tube spark gaps

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

10/03/2002 02:22:53, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry
Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>Tesla list wrote:
>>
>> Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of
Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>
>>
>> Dear R.
>>         I can second this - i tried runnung
a coils with about 10 of the
>small
>> creamic
>> encapsulated gaps and found to my surprise
that it made almost no
>> differnece to the
>> amount of noise the coil made even though
the gap itself was silent

>> Alex Rice
>
>	I use a single one of those gaps (are you
talking about the ones All
>had for sale a year or so back) in my small
TC, and it is much quieter
>than when using the cylinder gap it replaced.
In this case a lot of the
>noise seems to be coming from the gap and not
from the streamers.  When
>I ran a bigger coil using an enclosed
quenched gap the results were just
>about as you describe.
>
>Ed

Hmmn, maybee this could be a breakrate thing -
i had a lot of them to get a higher breakdown
voltage and hence lower breakrate - this would
mean tht a spark channel would keep being re-
initialised making the godawful noise we all
know and love, maybee with just one gap the
breakrate was higher so there would have been
more nois from the gap but less from the
streamers - has anyone investigated how
breakrate affects gap noise and stremer noise
individually?

alex