RE: Longitudinal Waves - Request for clarification

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Jan,

>> Longitudinal pulses do not have E and B fields.  Longitudinal waves vary
in
>> space and time by length (or time) and density.

>Now how are you supposed to go on and measure this then, with the antenna
>setup you proposed to build? Antennas are only able to pick up E/H fields.

Really?  Wires also pick up and conduct heat, too, right?  And if the wire
is taut, it will also pick up mechanical energy.  What basis do you have for
saying long wires with resonant series circuits between them can't pick up
energy from the longitudinal component of the wave?

> You also mentioned rotation - the rotation of EM waves is its polarization
(say, elliptical). It isn't related to the energy "content" of the wave.

It's related to the energy "characteristics" of the wave.  Potential of
itself, is not energy.  It is a characteristic of energy.  So are rotation
and longitudinal propagation also characteristics of energy.  And just as we
can harness the potential characteristic of energy to do work, we can also,
at least in theory, harness the longitudinal and rotational characteristics
for doing work.  That's the purpose of my research.  To harness other
aspects of energy in configurations we have not yet mastered.  The flat
spiral coil is an ideal tool for this type of work since the longitudinal
characteristics of the energy are prominent.  I haven't given much time to
the rotational characteristic, yet.  I'm trying to focus my efforts.

> Compression waves propagating in a medium can be detected by other means -
maybe a microphone, for low frequency ("long") waves.

Perhaps, for low frequencies.  Perhaps the microphone concept can be applied
to a different membrane?  Instead of a membrane designed to pick up air
pressure, we could design a membrane the picks up electrical pressure?  This
gives me an idea, but I'll try it out before risking more ire from the
skeptics.

>> Light travels about 186000 miles in one second so in
>> three seconds light will have traveled either 3 seconds or 3 times 186000
>> miles.

> Yes? Assume a satellite travels 15km/s, so, lo and behold!, after three
seconds it will have travelled three seconds. Right? (sorry, couldn't
resist... ;o)

It would be true, if satellites always (practically speaking) traveled at
the same speed.  Only one thing does this in this universe that I know of.

>> The density of light has been experimentally observed and reported
>> as "wave packets" in regards to photons.

> What density do you mean... Power density?

You'll have to ask a physicist that question.  I don't know how to explain
in their own terms what they are observing.

> Light (photons) and EM fields are one and the same. For example, a diode
laser and a tesla coil both produce more or less powerful EM fields.

Driving down a busy highway causes many automobile front ends to appear on
the opposite side of the road.  But are there only cars with front ends on
the opposite side of the road?  What if we looked at the road from a
different angle?  I agree, light and EM are the same.  As I see it, light
and longitudinal waves are equally the same, and light and rotational waves
are also the same.

Dave