RE: JavaTC Major Update version 9.0

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Bart -

I didn't get the email and please forgive my posting 4 inches Pri/Sec
distance. It should be 4 inches Sec above Pri. In your example below with
the 500 turn coil if you use a value of 4 inches or more for the Sec above
the Pri you will find that the K factor is a negative value with the toroid.
Without the toroid the value is positive. Why would the toroid make this
difference? The same problem occurs whenever your program is dealing with TC
designs that have low value K factors. You may want to check the Acmi
program also. The JHCTES program will give K values down to zero but not
negative values which is the way it should be.

I believe the K factors of present TC programs will be speculative until
much more testing is done. After the testing the necessary adjustments to
the programs can then be made so the programs will agree with the real
world.

It is interesting to note that the primary capacitor and the toroid have a
profound effect on the K factor of the Tesla coil. For example when the
primary capacitor or toroid is reduced the primary turns (Np) are changed so
what happens to the K factor? The primary and secondary coils must be in
tune to the same frequency. Some of the equations are

      For Lp or Ls
      L = (RN)^2/(9R+10H)   F= 1/6.283 sqrt(LxC)
      LpCp = LsCs
      Lm = K sqrt(LpxLs)

Because these equations and the parameters can be juggled in so many
different ways the making of TC programs is a difficult task.

For Java9 and the 500 turn coil

   Secondary  6 - 11.365 - .02273 - 0 - 0
   Toroid     12.75 - 4 - 0 - 0
   Primary    9 - .25 - .214 - 6.22 - 0 - .02 - (-4)

                    Java9       JHCTES
 With toroid Lm =   -10.78      51.30
              K =   -.0193      .096

 No toroid   Lm =   23.43       29.54