Re: Gap Losses (II) Re: Primary Heating

Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Dave wrote:
> Arcs have a negative resistance characteristic:  More current
> means LESS voltage drop

I agree with both of you.

And I'm sure that you'd both agree that the energy lost into the
gap over a cycle is the integral of V(t) x I(t), and that the
Q is then

 pi * Lpri Ipeak^2/integral{ V(t) * I(t); over the cycle}

for that cycle at least.  Has anyone used one of those fancy
digital scopes to measure this?  If so, did the gap energy lost on
each cycle account for the ringdown envelope, or did you have to
add in a significant fixed R.

Are there such things as tables or empirical formulas for gap
losses - put in a current and the gap dimensions and pull out a
figure for loss?
--
Paul Nicholson