Re: "Odd" Coil

Hi Winston,

At 08:54 PM 3/13/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi everyone.
>
>	I finally met with my physics teacher about the 18 pF (or whatever it
>was) primary cap coil.  It turns out that what looks like a single plate
>cap with glass backing, is really a normal plate cap with glass as the
>dielectric.  Not sure about the size, but it's probably in the range of
>5-10 nF.  Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, Cool!  That seems far more reasonable

>The spark length (he says) is 1.5
>feet, using a 15/60 neon as a supply.

Kinda short ;-)

>The coil uses a single static gap
>with no air flow.  It was set too wide, at nearly 3/4"!  Maybe I can
>help him "pump up" the coil a bit ;-).  Any Suggestions?

I would set the gap far lower!  Might pop the NST or gap that wide.  If you
can get the primary capacitance to say 17nF and retune the coil, it may do
like 40 inches.  But be careful that this coil can stand that sort of
performance!  Maybe just setting the gap properly and checking the tuning
would do wonders.  Realize that this coil me be deliberately miss-tuned to
keep it "tame".  Letting it go to its full potential may be "bad" if it was
not designed for it.

>	I also asked him if he would like me to bring my coil by some time.  He
>said that I could bring it by whenever I liked!  Hmmmm.  I like the idea
>of a 480 cycle scream bouncing down the hall! ;-)).

:-)))