Re: AWG vs. Diameter

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/17/02 12:45:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> In general, people tend to find that the thicker tubing does better than
> thinner wire.  We always attributed that to the differences in skin depth but
> these new proximity and eddy current factors may matter a lot too.  Primary
> losses can really eat up a coil's performance so this is pretty critical
> stuff.
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry

Just a thought,
       Blowing air via a length of plastic tubing (for insulation) through a
hollow copper primary coil might help with the heating effects, but would it
have any other benefits or drawbacks?

Matt D.
G3-1085