Re: Arc Over Between Secondary and Primary Coils (Tuning?)

In a message dated 3/16/02 5:20:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Nolan,

First reduce the coupling by raising the secondary.  This will
tend to stop the arc-overs too by moving the secondary farther
from the primary.  Then tune the coil for strongest sparks by
adjusting the tap point for longest sparks.  there should be
no arc-overs ever.  Then lower the secondary until arc-overs
just start, then raise it a little until they stop.  If you want,
you can put a sleeve of polyethylene plastic between the
primary and secondary to stop the arcovers, but it shouldn't
be needed.  There should be at least 1" between the primary
and secondary, to make arc-overs less likely.  At best tune
point the sparks will be loudest and longest.

Cheers,
John