Primary Cooling (Re: AWG vs. Diameter)

Tesla list wrote:

> <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 3/17/02 12:45:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> > In general, people tend to find that the thicker tubing does
>>better than thinner wire.  We always attributed that to the
>> differences in skin depth but these new proximity and eddy current
>>factors may matter a lot too.  Primary losses can really eat up
>>a coil's performance so this is pretty critical stuff.

> > Cheers,

> >         Terry

> Just a thought,
>        Blowing air via a length of plastic tubing (for insulation)
>through a hollow copper primary coil might help with the heating effects,

	Or water, if serious....
	(cf below...)

> but would it have any other benefits

	Not that i can think of.
	(one could measure outlet temp and get an indication of primary
	losses.)

> or drawbacks?

	Complexity.
	One More Thing to fail.
	If used, i suggest an alarm, to allow shut down if
	cooling system fails...

	It's been discussed (cf the archive).  As i recollect.
	the consensus was 'too complicated'...  A simple muffin fan
	is a lot simpler...  (I suggested it once...)

	best
	dwp

(Optional:
	Water?
	Indeed.  Near here, in fact, powering this PC, in part,
	is the 'receive' end of a +/-500kvdc link from Quebec.
	The chopper(s) consist of huge stacks of thyristors,
	optically trigger (for insulation) and bathed in a
	sealed, ultra pure, high tech, environmentally
	friendly, recyclable coolant/insulating liquid:

	(Wait for it......)

	99.9999% Pure Water.
	(its the dissolved stuff that conducts....)