RE: Flat Spiral Winding Techniques

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Robert,

I'm using both, polyurethane and resin.  (The fiberglass resin is referred
to as a polymer coating by some manufacturers.)  The advantage I have found
with using polyurethane first is that it is more liquid and can get
underneath the windings.  And because it gets under the wires, it is very
important to allow plenty of time for curing.  I wound a coil with just
polyurethane between a Plexiglas plate and a piece of polyurethaned plywood.
Three months later I cracked the coil apart to see if the polyurethane had
set, but it ran out just as liquid as the day it was applied.

After the coil is sealed with the polyurethane, I use the polymer coating
and just as you say, it's set and ready to use the next day.  I haven't
found another product that compares to the efficiency of the polymer coating
when it comes to sealing in corona.  I've just ordered another gallon from a
supplier I found last night on the Internet.  They not only sell polymer
coating but also all kinds of acrylic shapes, tubes, angle pieces, and other
related supplies at reasonable prices.  I've also ordered a can of acrylic
cement.  If it works well, I'll build an acrylic tank for the primary and
secondary circuits and fill it with oil.  The web site is
http://www.tapplastics-dot-com/.

Right now I'm getting so much pressure in my coils that they are shooting
out jets of electricity all over the place.  I'd share the information on
this list, but it would end up going off topic again.  Suffice it to say, I
have verified Tesla's statements on why his coils worked different from
Hertzian coils.  As soon as yahoo is working again, I'll post on the
spiralcoils list.

Dave