Re: How long IS safe?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

>Hi all,
>
>I was just curious to know how long of a run is safe? On my first run I never
>let it go for more than 20-30 seconds at the most but
>
>this made it hard to take any good pictures. I live in N.H. and yesterday
>inside the unheated garage it was only about 35 degrees or
>
>so. Even after a good 30 second run not one single component was even the
>slightest bit warm and actually was still ice cold!
>
>I figured that heat would be the big killer of components, but I could very
>well be wrong.
>

>The Ozone thing is a different story as I know if you can smell it then
you are
>already at dangerous levels. We cracked the bay door
>
>and opened the side door on the opposite end of the garage for a good cross
>breeze and that eliminated that pretty well.
>
>Any thoughts on this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim L
>
><BR>
>
><P><FONT SIZE=2>---<BR>
></FONT> </P>

Hi Jim...

i suppose it all depends upon the capacitors vital functions  :)    I
can run my smaller coil for hours at a time till I get bored with it. My
BIGPIG coil on the other hand requires at least 15 minutes of cool down
time after running for 15 minutes straight ( a 1:1 on/off ratio) the
caps do get a bit warm ...
but then again .. pushing 30KV -at- nearly 1\2 an amp ( 18KVA) is alot of
heat to process...

Scot D