Re: Eithernet Vs. Tesla Coil...

> However, I noticed that several Eithernet ports on my LinkSys 5 pot hub
> (EFAH05W) were mysteriously blown to bits!!    Mysteriously... These ports
> were connected to long usually unconnected cables near the area were Tesla
> coils are used....  hmmmmm....  Obviously a total coincidence... :o))  But
> "me thinks" that Eithernet and Tesla coils may not mix well!!  The ports
> seemed to just flicker and jump between the 10 and 100 Mbps modes without
> ever making real contact.  I wonder if some type of termination connector
> would help protect them?
Perhaps.. 100 ohms between each of the pairs (any of the plethora of TIA
wiring diagrams will show you which pins, and I'm too lazy)...

Perhaps a ferrite bead around the whole cable?

> So I got a new NetGear FS108 switch now with plenty of "extra" ports ;-)
(a
> real super nice switch too!!) so I should be set for a few more coil runs.
> It should also speed up hot-streamer since it is a real hot doggy "switch"
> instead of a "hub":
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/
>
> I'll try to be sure to leave unused long cables disconnected which is easy
> on this "front-loading" 33 activity LEDs Eithernet switch.

Except that unless you unplug, it's not really disconnected, eh?

> Hotstreamer also has a new Viewsonic VE150 LCD monitor now.  Only 30 watts
> "if on" as opposed to my old 250 watt Viewsonic 7 monitor.  My niece
> pointed out that I was paying $150 bucks a year to run that big old thing
> 24-7!!!  Also MUCH longer UPS operation now if I blow the main electrical
> panel out of the wall :-))

I just ran across a OEM surplus place (in Pasadena, near work) that has HP
laptop LCDs for $15.... pinout is indeterminate (so far), but tomorrow at
lunch time, I'm on my way down there... 640x480 STN displays... that's good
enough for "terminal emulator" and "fancy LED" displays...

 Unless I scrounge up a surplus ASR33 teletype.. I'll bet that's EMI
immune..and, if it's not receiving characters, the power dissipation is real
low (the motor doesn't start until it gets the "START" bit...)