RE: Mutual Inductance & K Factor

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Bart -

For rough measurements I recommend the Wavetex (27XT?) or similar meter.
This meter measures capacitance, inductance, and frequency in addition to
the usual DMM ranges. It will do all the necessary metering for the mutual
inductance (Lm) and the K Factor (K).

I downloaded the Nolan data from your program. This download ability is a
nice feature of your program. In the Java outputs I note that the Pri/Sec
clearance is one inch instead of the 1.4 inch that I understand is what
Nolan said. This means the Java K is even lower than previously shown. I
believe this Java K is too low for the geometry of this coil while the
JHCTES K may be too high. Only testing the coil can solve the problem.

With Java primary inner diameter = 5.18 the Pri/Sec clearance is 1.4 inches.
The new outputs are:

   Sec above Pri = 0 inches
                 Java         JHCTES
       Lm       13.53         25.52