Re: SRSG BPS

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/19/02 7:14:25 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hey all,
>
> I've decided to give making a synchronous gap a go, as I want to
> directly compare the performance with an ARSG. I'm wondering what BPS
> set up is the best to use. The way I see it, to take full avantage of a
> synchronous gap, a 100 BPS gap is the go (for the aussie 50Hz power
> supply) to allow charging at only the highs and lows of the AC
> sinewave. If you increase the break rate above, say, 200 to 400 BPS,
> you are essentially losing the advantage that synchronous operation
> gives, and I would think you might as well use an asynchronous gap at
> these speeds (though an asynchronous gap won't work so well below
> 300BPS). However, with the higher BPS you can get by with smaller
> capacitance in the primary circuit. Alot of people seem to compromise
> by using a 200BPS (or 240BPS for you in the US) gap. I'm wondering how
> the 200BPS and 100BPS versions compare in practice.
>

> Greg Peters
> Department of Earth Sciences,
> University of Queensland, Australia

Greg,

I set mine up using John's remote phase control system so I can actually change
from 240 bps to 120 bps while the system is running.  I highly recommend this
method.  I am using a 6" diameter secondary, with .05 ufd cap and about 7 kva
for power.  The coil runs nice at 240 bps.  When I switch it to 120 bps, the
blue corona between the primary and secondary gets very intense.  It looks like
it is ready to blow up, if you know what I mean.  For my present system, I
would need to back the coupling off a little more to feel comfortable at the
lower break rate.  John insists that the 120 bps rate with a large primary cap
is the most effecient.  I will try reduced coupling and more capacitance one of
these days.

Ed Sonderman