Re: Joules

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

the easy way to calculate energy in a cap for tesla coiling is to not play
with really large and small numbers at all.

energy (J) = (kilovolts squared times uF) /2

let's pretend what a 0.05uF cap charging off a 15kV transformer can store.

peak voltage = 1.4 * 15 = 21kV. the cap can charge to a peak of 21kV.

so 21 * 21 = 441
now multiply by 0.05  you don't even need a calculator- just divide by 20.
now we have 441*0.05 = 22.05. Divide that by 2. So we now we know that the
cap can store upto 11J, and you did not even have to play with lots of
decimal places.

KEN