Re: Potting Diode Strings

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

> Low density polyethylene can be cut into fine strips and stirred into
> the
> wax to give nice potting. Come to think of it, i bet that would work
> well on flat coils.

	I've done that and it takes a long time because any one strip doesn't
have much material in it.  I found it necessary to use a paraffin
temperature around 300 degrees (too close to the flash point to make me
comfortable) and stir continuously.  Something which worked a lot better
was to heat up the paraffin and them drip hot melt glue into it from the
glue gun.  That way it's already hot and mixes much more easily.  I
don't remember the ratio of paraffin to glue, but think it was about 40%
paraffin to 60% glue.  As I said before, have a fire extinguisher or a
wet towel or something handy just in case....

	I think an electric hot plate is safer than a gas stove, but if some
spills it can ignite either way.

Ed