Vacuum Tube 5868

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

All

Found another tube data site.  Has some tabular info on tubes from
1958-1961 Amperex CC363 Catalog and other references.

 http://www.wps-dot-com/archives/tube-datasheets/

What info I had seen suggests it would be an awesome VTTC
power tube, it is a concentric (circular) design versus a 833'x'
(rectilinear), and should be capable of higher hold off voltages,
as well as significant overcurrent capability with its massive
graphite plate.  I believe that the 5868 also uses a 5 pin jumbo
socket, same as used with a 4-400A type tube.

I vaguely remember the 5868 as being used in a push-pull 3kW
ultrasonic industrial cleaner where I was first employed.  Had
a wicked 3kVDC power supply (one electrician was almost killed;
3kV through left leg, chest and arms to ground).  Unit was
supposedly "dead".  Electrician was left with lingering nerve damage
(3 months for full recovery) and a half dollar size 3rd degree burn
where current entered leg.

Warning to the VTTC crowd; a VTTC-especially with a LSPS- can
be more dangerous then SGTC.  Most VTTC use voltages higher
then are used in the electric chair (2.3kV+/- 0.5kV for those
curiosity
seekers), at peak plate currents often approaching single digit amp
ranges.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA