Re: Potting Diode Strings - yes!

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

I am the guilty party who asked the parrafin wax question ;-)  At the
time, I was thinking about the mechanics of assembly as well as
insulation - hence a wax.

However, seeing Godfrey's posting (below), I think that I would be
inclined to find a separate solution to giving the diode string
rigidity; a helix around a tube (think I saw that on Greg's Garage site)
could be wound quite tight if the whole lot were insulated...

Since the power source will be a pair of MOTs, I think that I will just
put transformers, rectifiers and caps in a single tank of oil - this
will provide cooling, insulation and everything in a single, handy, box.
  One mains cord in, two HV bushings out.

I agree with the recent posting of what would happen if one diode blew -
I would just chuck the whole string, labour intensive or no; if one
goes, the rest are sure to follow...  I will also be trying to eliminate
the chance of diode failure by over-rating the string not only on
voltage, but also on current, by using 3A/1kV diodes (can't remember the
number).

Thanks to all for all the answers to my original question!

Cheers

Matthew Smith

PS - For those in the beeswax camp, it smells nicer too!

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>