Re: TO ALL PLEASE READ

Original poster: "Steve Greenfield by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alienrelics-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Hi Tom,
>
> Rather than taking the pictures from other sites and putting them
> on yours,
> you could just directly link to the pictures at other sites.

That is called "stealing bandwidth". It is also violating copyright
just the same as if you'd downloaded them to your own website.
Better to link to their page, not to the individual pictures.

What is wrong with asking for permission? Obviously most here are
willing.

> But in general, if you want to "use" someone's picture or files
> for some
> great purpose other than just looking at them, you should ask.

Yes. Just so. In general, and in specific.

> Look
> carefully if they have any copyright notices which indicate they
> "really
> do" care.  People that "really seriously" care usually put
> notices on the
> pictures and have them reduced to little 30 x 40 pixel postage
> stamps so
> they are worthless to copy and worthless in general...

Like me? I put my digital photo business pictures up large enough
so people can see what they are getting. This does not mean that I
do not "really seriously" care. I -do- really seriously care. I
love to have people link to my site, but once when someone was
"stealing bandwidth" by linking to one of my pix, I renamed it and
placed a version that said "This picture stolen from
www.polyphoto-dot-com" in place of it with the original name. With my
website modified to show only the correct photo, of course.

> This would be a good topic to bring up in you class.  Ask the
> teacher what
> is "right" and sit back and enjoy the answer to a question that
> has no
> answer...

There are correct answers by law, and by ethics. Taking without
asking is unethical.

> There are people that would like to put things on the Internet
> and control
> (or profit from) how others use them.  But that is like throwing
> money out
> the window and charging people to take it.  Someone steals your
> stuff, you
> just go right over to China and file a $5 law suite...

I (attempt) to make my living by creating original images. I don't
try and do so from small websize images, but from high res prints.

Oh, forget it. If the links that I and others don't show you where
you are incorrect, I can't say anything else. It is easy enough to
ask permission.

=====
Steve Greenfield               // Digital photo scanning, retouching,
Polymorph Digital Photography // and photomorphing to your specs.
253/318-2473 voice           // We use the best little computer in
polymorph-at-polyphoto-dot-com     // the world, the Amiga!
http://www.polyphoto-dot-com/  // Based in Tacoma, WA, USA

_