Re: fluorescent tube question

Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

> >snip>>>>
> Agree.  I believe I remember some earlier posts saying something to the
> effect that "it's the high voltage that lights the tube, not the current
> which flows through it.  That was the reason for my comment.  The
> current is low, the voltage drop is at most a few hundred volts, and the
> lamps don't light very brightly, no matter what they look like in a
> darkened room.
>
> Ed

FWIW, Plasma globes will also light tubes must the same as a tesla coil. you
can only go about 1 foot away from it but it works very well. I think the
voltage must be around 2Kv or there abouts, running on about 40khz if i
remember right.

Chris