RE: A beginner

Original poster: "Vanderputten, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gvp-at-pvaintl-dot-com>

Gary's quick and dirty RQSG for modest coils

Theme - glue a series of pipes on the outside of a plastic pipe and then
insert finished product inside a larger pipe

Materials

8 x 3" lengths of 3/4" copper pipe, sanded and steel wooled of all burrs
plastic vitamin bottle or PVC  pipe about 2 1/2" in diameter. Needs to be
large enough to hold the 8 pipes on the outside with a 1" gap between the
first and last
1x 4" (approx) plastic, pvc etc pipe about 6" long  into which the bundled
pipes will fit tightly
Muffin fan for the end.
Epoxy cement
Spacers - 14 x1/2" x 1" strips of business cards doubled over - you are
looking for about .025" or so thickness for each strip; you will need two
for each gap
two large rubber bands

Procedure: Do several dry runs of the following before using the exopy

1. Be sure the bottle or other form is completely free of labels, etc.
2. Put a neat bead of glue on each pipe leaving at least 1/2" free at each
end
3. Carefully attach each to the outside of the bottle or other plastic form
4. The key trick here is to secure the rubber bands  around the package of
pipes to hold them in place. The pipes will naturally tend to touch one
another, sort of like a Gattling gun. It just has to be tight enough to keep
them touching.
5. Keep them vertically aligned - the rubber bands will hold it nicely in
place. Watch for glue.
6. When you are satisfied with the package, carefully place the spaces at
the top and bottom of each pipe gap without touching the glue. Check the gap
with a feeler gauge - you can adjust with more or less strips. The key is
that the gaps are consistent, and there is no epoxy between pipes or
touching the spacers.
7. Let this dry over night.
8. The next day, remove strips and ruber bands. The pipes shold maintain
their positions, perfectly gapped.
9. Insert this into the larger pipe - mine is snug (4.5" lexan); Do not
permanently attach it - you want to be able to remove for cleaning.
10. Attach an appropriate muffin fan at one end - I epoxied mine.
11. I used alligator clips for connectors initially, but later (once tuned)
fashioned a better connection.
12.
My experience with this device was very good. I was concerned about the heat
but it seemed to be OK with my 1000 W coil. Even after five minutes of
continuous operation it was only warm. The fan is very important for this.

I used lexan for the outer form and it looks really neat, but is very
visable during operation, a desireable feature for my demo coil.

Good luck

Gary