Re: new MOT stack completed!

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

Greetings.
No problems with more data and opinions

I'm a MOT fan cos they work a treat for nearly nothing.
1) None of my MOTs are the same. (but they are similar) and I doubt it
matter too much.
2) I selected them for big core size and high O/P volts.
3) The outer MOT's are selected for core to secondary insulation spacing
4) I mains ballast with big inductors from 50v rectifier sets as used by
telcos. It's not critical but saturation needs to be watched.
5) PFC needed to keep the mains I/P current down. Standard Motor run caps
are good. Not actually calculated reqd Cpfc but 100uF helps a lot
6) Coils is very standard 15deg pancake about 8T to tune. Sec is 12" dia 54"
of double spaced 22g. Resonates with toroids at 90kHz
7) Toroids are big 12" by 48" and 6" by 30" (biggest O/P is actually with
only the small toroid, time to check and tune may change this)
8) 300bps SRSG goes OK (90deg and 90+/-25deg firing) but runs more power and
bigger sparks with a multi pipe gap. Cp is 90nF MMC CD942C 1600v/0.33uF as
per Robin Copini
9) I take the MOT HT lead off its eth connection and terminate on a tagstrip
then plug that area with hot glue for stability and insulation.
10) A big variac is a good idea
11) I'm currently looking at running each half of the MOT stack (two groups
3 phased around eth) from separate mains feeds and variacs so I can more
easily achieve the required I/P current from the mains supply) Need to
ensure each is off separate feed from the switch board

It's all simplicity and common sense, any questions feel free to ask

Best
Ted L in NZ