RE: Just starting out

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

Right on all,
Good answer(s) for the new guy!!
All are equal in our rights to electrocute ourselves, go broke, get
weird looks at the hardware store, and drive our spouses crazy :)

Seriously though, welcome to the list.

I had no experience whatsoever in electricity I built a pretty dang good
coil for my first one. I am now in the process of refining it to give me
better output.
I would not agree that it is simple/easy. You have to want to and its
going to take some time and money. The knowledge hurdles are NOT hard,
but rather the scrounging of parts and your own time.

I found it to be one of the most satisfying projects I have ever
undertaken and it never fails to amaze the people around me or myself
for that matter.
I am an automotive machinist(engine re-builder)and I can disassemble,
re-machine and re assemble any motor going, but this was entirely more
interesting.

The advice to search around the internet is right on. Look around and
ask
questions from everyone. 99.9 percent of all the people I have ran into
are more than willing to help, and usually people who you think would be
to "uppity" to be bothered(I.E electrical engineers, professors,
business owners, etc) are the most interested and helpful.

Have a look at my site
http://www.jlproduction-dot-com/Tesla.html
Although not rich in theory, it has a few good pictures and links and
was designed for the beginner. It is very straightforward. Feel free to
contact me anytime as I owe more than a few good turns to pay back all
the ones I have received.

Good luck,
Jim Layton