Re: rebuilt nst not working

Original poster: "PotLuck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <potluck-at-xmission-dot-com>

Hey Steve,
I've rebuilt 3 15/30's using the following site as a guide.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/ross/projects/ac_coil/psu.html

I run them dry with no signs of flashover or corona. I had sealed the ends
of the secondaries with polyurethane and insulated as seen at the site with
polypropylene gotten from food containers purchased at K-Mart. To adjust the
shunts I installed them all the way in. Then shorted the NST output and
raised the input through use of a variac watching the output current. At
first that current was really low as can be expected. Then after power down
AND unplugging the variac from the wall socket ( BE SURE OF THAT!! ) I
tapped them out a little at a time, each time raising the power gradually
and watching output current until each secondary came to 30ma. Once the
shunts were "adjusted" I coated them with several coats of poly to assure
they stayed in place.

I really believe the secret is the polypropylene insulation.

Rick W.
SLC