Re: Fasthenry program does much more than I originally thought

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Something I forgot to mention.  This program is very fast.  The
~8000segment run only took 140sec on my 1Ghz P3 laptop.  Thats
16segments/turn with 8.25in long winding of #26ga wire, I believe.  And
sweeping frequency over 10 points does not result in a 10x increase in
time.  Maybe about 20% more time.  It evidently stores a kind of Green's
function for the next freq step.  As soon as I can learn enough, I will
try out the ground plane option, then compare the impedance and/or spice
simulation I get to a measurement using an Agilent 8573E Network
Analyzer.  Rob.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

> I've been playing with the fasthenry program today, and I had no idea
> that you could do so much with it.
>
> It will model inductors above a ground plane, model coupled inductors,
> and generate impedance matrices.  Connections can be made to the ground
> plane.
>
> In fact, the Unix version has a program that converts fasthenry output
> into several types of Spice models.  There is also a provision to
> generate current info for Matlab viewing.  And there is a program which
> converts the input file into a Postscript picture.
>
> Here's the rub:  I'm modeling a coil with 8000 segments (50Mb of
> memory).  You need a computer program to generate the input file.  This
> weekend I will try hacking a Python program that might work for
> coilers.  It might take a couple of weeks to do this, but I'll try.  I
> already have the code for simple cylindrical coils.  I have compiled it
> for Windows also with the MingW compiler.  If anyone wants it, email me.
>
> Rob.
> --

The Numeric Python EM Project

www.pythonemproject-dot-com