Re: Richard's mama can whip yo mama

In a message dated 5/2/02 12:07:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> John,
>
> Looks like I owe you an apology. I had this post from Richard Hull stuck
> in my mind. It's easy to get mixed up after reading so many of the
> archives :(

Greg,

No apology needed, I'm sure I've made worse mistakes.  It's
almost impossible to keep track of who said what, etc.
Richard is a good friend of mine, and I'm very familiar with his
work.  I have all his videos, and I see him at least a few times
each year for the last 12 years.  It's always good to see old
friends in the TCBOR.  I learned a lot from them in my early
coiling days.

> "John has shown no real advantage exists in the synchronous system over
> say a normal fully controlled variable speed rotary.  This is based on
> actual tests with working coil systems, where a like non-synchronous gap
> is swapped out after the synchronous gap is run.  The synchronous system
> has a very distinct spark pattern and can be recognized instantly at
> sight by the adroit coiler.

I think that refered to old work that I did, using high break rate,
(360 bps, 480 bps) sync gaps.  My original view was that sync
gaps weren't that great, but I gradually changed my view on that.
I originally favored high breakrates.  My ideas went through a gradual
evolution over the last 12 years.  I found that things are not always
as they seem to be.  I follow Reagan's (or was it Gorbachev's?)
suggestion, "trust but verify".

> I am not a booster for synchronous systems, but it sounds like a few of
> you might be.  I hope this info is of some value.  John Freau like
> myself, tends to use the non-synchronous gap most often in his medium
> sized magnifier systems."

Again, this probably refered to early work.  Since then, I did
other comparisons, etc.

There is no doubt that more work is needed to settle the
issues more definitively.  I look not only at my own results,
but the results of others, when trying to derive working
hypotheses.

Cheers,
John