Re: Enough pork in this pig??? (Pics)

Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Sean Taylor by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<taylorss-at-rose-hulman.edu>

> It looks like this pig does have a way of changing the output voltage
> on the "primary" or HV side.  The plate has the schematic drawing that
> shows a total of four coils, two 120V, and two 7200V coils, probably.
> If the high voltage coils were hooked in series rather than parallel,
> you could get 14400 out of it.  Don't know if it definitely is
> possible to change it, but it looks like it is.
>
> Sean Taylor
>
> -------------------
> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <network-at-nexband-dot-com>
> >
> > I snapped some pics of that xfrmr today and maybe we can get a fix
> on what
> > the heck this thing will put out.  Some pics are ok and some not as
> clear.
> > Hope this helps!
> >
> > The pics are located at..........

Sean,

The item under "what the heck is that?" is the lever to reset the
circuit breaker located inside the case. The ring is there so that the
power company can reset it from the ground. Your transformer is a CSP
(completely self protected) as indicated by the nameplate and contains
an internal circuit breaker and trip/overload light among other possible
self protecting internal features. I can't make it out, but if the
transformer is designated 12470v grounded Y (gndY) all you are going to
get out of the high voltage side when inputing 240v on the low side is
7200 volts. There also appears to be a HV tap switch on the schematic.
Not much use for Tesla service.

What ever you do, don't operate a single bushing pole transformer
without grounding the case. I don't recommend operating any pole
transformer without grounding the case, but running a single bushing
transformer with an ungrounded case places the case at HV potential if
there in no neutral to case connection! In your case the strap from
neutral to the case will limit the voltage to half of the total LV
input. Still not a desireable condition.

Hope this helps,

Ed Wingate RATCB